One of the best ways to feel good is to try make someone else feel good. Whether you believe in karmic laws or not, there’s a satisfaction you’ll feel by being kind and cheering up those around you. Now I know that not everyone will appreciate it. Some may even throw it back in your face. The only way to create change is to start being the change. Start living it. Make it a habit. I believe that kindness is contagious and simple acts of kindness can promote more of the same. Here’s 15 simple ways you can spread kindness:
- Say please and thank you
- Praise someone at work for a job well done when the occasion arises.
- Be compassionate for a person’s situation next time he or she is rude or inconsiderate to you, instead of getting defensive.
- Thank a service person such as your postman, military, a police officer or fireman for their hard work and dedication to serving others.
- Cheer up a loved one by giving them an unexpected gift. You don’t need to spend a lot; it’s the thought that counts.
- Call someone who you haven’t talked to in a while and let them know that you’ve been thinking about them and that you are sorry you’ve been out of touch.
- Sincerely compliment someone every day, whether it be their physical appearance, their character, or what they’ve accomplished in spite of difficulties.
- Make a positive post on social media.
- At dinner every night this week, talk about kindness with your family. Ask questions like, “What kind act did you do today?” and “What kind act did someone do for you?”
- Let a debt go that someone owes you whether it be monetary or something else which has them feel indebted to you. Only ask that they “pay it forward” in the future when there comes an opportunity to help someone else.
- Give up complaining for 21 days and, as a result, become more positive, hopeful and optimistic. Not complaining is kind because your positivity will help others to do the same.
- Comment on a blog where someone is making a special effort to educate or help people. Not often enough do people who do good in the world everyday get acknowledged for their efforts. You can even aim to do this once a week on a new blog.
- Stick up for a person who has been treated wrongly.
- Leave a $10.00 bill in an open public place for someone to find. You will make their day! But be sure it’s not in a place where it may be turned in by an honest person.
- Be kinder to yourself by embarking on a self-care crusade. This can mean taking better care of your health, getting regular massages, meditating, taking a yoga class, watching your finances by going on a budget, leaving a bad relationship, going after what you want in life, and avoiding negative self-talk. Make it your priority every day to take better care of yourself!