I have fallen in love with Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. It is one of the best martial arts and workouts you can ever do. It’s more than just about learning to protect and defend yourself against an opponent. It also teaches you on how to become a better person in all walks of life.
I have found since starting Brazilian Jiu-jitsu that I have been able to make many adjustments in my life. I wake up each day more with a purpose, and greater confidence in both my personal and professional lives. This is why I wanted to take today to share my thoughts on why more people should do Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. Here are my 5 reasons on why you should do it:
- A great workout and way to get in shape fast. Many people who want to work out have a hard time finding an activity that is fun and rewarding physically. Tired of spinning, running, or the traditional weight lifting practice? Brazilian Jiu-jitsu may be for you. Not only is it a great workout; it’s a lot of fun. When you do things that are fun, you will continue to do it.
- A great way to learn to defend yourself. Besides getting in great shape, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu teaches one on how to defend themselves on the ground. You learn on how to use various grappling, joint locks and ground techniques to defeat an opponent. Knowing you can protect yourself (if you are in a no win situation), is a great skill/technique to have.
- A great way to learn about humility. Being a beginner (white belt) is the toughest level when you first start Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. You will get submitted a lot, and have more losses than wins for a certain amount of time. During this period, you learn about being humble and that no one is unbeatable. Think about how learning to be humble translates not only into martial arts; also in your professional and personal lives.
- A great way to learn on “going with the flow in life.” Life doesn’t always go your way. You will have setbacks and disappointments, and will have to learn and grow from it. Brazilian Jiu-jitsu teaches you to learn how to adapt and accept change; which enables you to make adjustments and move forward. This transcends over to your personal life as well. By being able to accept and move forward with the ups and downs in life, you’ll be able to deal with any challenge that comes your way.
- Develop more confidence and respect for yourself. The thing I love most about BJJ the most is that after you get through the initial challenges of it, you become better at it. This leads to more confidence and respecting your efforts. When you have more confidence, it transcends to other parts of your life. You learn to go after your goals and dreams, stop investing in things that make you unhappy, and develop a greater respect for yourself.
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is a great martial art to learn and practice. Besides learning to defend yourself against a bigger opponent; you’ll also gain greater confidence in yourself.
Joe Rogan has great benefits on why you should do Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. Check out the link below.
Whether it’s Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or any other activity, it’s important to find an exercise/activity that brings out the best in you. It will enable you to walk through life as a better person, and will inspire others to do the same.
I hope to see you on the mats real soon!!