I had some time this long weekend to reflect on things, and one thing that came to mind is that I take many things for granted. For many of us, we don’t step back enough and appreciate the things that we should be grateful for. Maybe it’s because we are too busy thinking about the next set of actions we need to take. Or maybe we forget to really appreciate on how lucky we are.
I thought I would share on things I take for granted, and hope that this inspires you to appreciate all the things that are going well in your life right now; start living life more to the fullest.
1. You woke up breathing. No matter what happens in the hours ahead, you can come back to your breath for a sense of peace and presence.
2. You have the freedom to choose what you’ll do today, even if you have some limitations.Sometimes we take it for granted, but what we do on a daily basis truly is our choice.
3. Search Engines. What good would the Internet be if we didn’t have search engines? Google and other search engines are simply awesome. You can find anything and everything you want in a matter of just a couple seconds by typing a few words into a search engine.
4. You likely have both a computer and a smartphone. And even if you don’t have both, one digital device is enough to be thankful for!
5. Love. Whether you are in a relationship or not, somewhere right now there is someone who loves you. It might be your mom, your BFF or even a secret admirer. Love is a powerful force that truly makes the world go ’round.
6. Freedom. Though we might complain about the government taking away some of our freedoms, we are truly blessed to have so much. We have the freedom to worship, the freedom of speech, the freedom to pursue our dreams and so many more.
7. Nature. If you live in the city, every once in a while you need to take a break and get back to nature. From the mountains to the deserts to the seas, the scenery, flora and fauna in nature are some things that most of us take for granted.
8. Free time. Everyone seems to think that we have to fill our time with something. Looking back, some of the best feelings I’ve had is sitting and just soaking it all in.
9. Simple pleasures. Things like coffee, driving with the windows rolled down, a good walk or hike, or even hugging a tree. It’s the simple things that make life worthwhile and enjoyable.
10. Proper nutrition. A major chunk of the human population doesn’t have access to fresh food, meat, or nutrition. Some 795 million people don’t eat enough food every day to live an active life. But many of us have enough money to go to the grocery store whenever we want.
There’s a lot that goes right on a daily basis. I’m choosing to start the day embracing the good in the present instead of trying to predict and control the bad in the future.
Have anything to add to the list?