I was reading over my journal this past weekend, and I saw an entry that I titled Setting Goals for the Life You Actually Want. As I was reading it, not only I want to re-use it for myself; I wanted to also share this with the world. Here is how to set goals for a better life, and a better you: PERIOD.
- Stop setting goals for the wrong reasons. Don’t set goals because of someone else’s expectations of you, or following others dreams or paths of life. The goals that you set should be ones that you want to achieve, and will leave you feeling better about yourself and life.
- Choose a goal to create a journey and then ask yourself questions such as:
- How do I want to spend my time?
- What daily activities make me want to leap out of bed?
- What do I want to learn?
- Who do I want to hang out with? Talk with? Collaborate with?
3. Once you have your list of questions, reply to each one. Here are some examples:
How do I want to spend my time? Training, learning to become a better version of myself
What do I want to learn? History, Urban Design, new languages such as French and Spanish
Who do I want to hang out with? Creative, ambitious, motivated, positive people who expose me to new ways of thinking and challenge my assumptions.
4. After figuring out your goals, take some time to look them over and set timelines to them. Also ensure that the goals are realistic as well. For example, if you want to get a promotion at a job, or get your black belt in martial arts; setting a timeline of 1 month isn’t realistic. Set timelines to your goals that factor in all the things necessary to achieve your goal. (i.e.studying and training, certifications)
Remember to achieve your goals and dreams in life takes dedication, sacrifice and believing you can make it happen. There is no one way towards achieving our goals and dreams in life. However, it all starts with one thing: ACTION.
Have a great week everyone!